Skip to main content

Reply to "Commitment Crossroads"

CaCO3Girl posted:
LHP2017 posted:
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

I agree with Fenway. You need to get a feeling for how the head coachs opinion. A friend of the family, had an experience, pitching coach recruited him. But when the young man arrived on camous he learned that the HC, did not feel the same as the pitching coach. Young man lasted a year before transferring . 

What kind of feeling did you get from the HC on your first visit? How long has the PC been with the program? At some schools the coaches may trust their recruiters enough. different schools recruit in  different ways. 

I would not yet consider this a red flag, but you need to find out.

My initial contact with the HC came after I had thrown a CG against a very good team and got a very good feeling from him like he had genuine interest, few phone calls here and there after that just to check up on me before I visited the first time. Got weird feeling from him on my visit, given there were many prospects there it may be the norm not to get much love on those events? In our meeting that day he was straight forward saying he wanted me and circled my name on his sheet (which I don't think means much because I saw about five other kids circled on the page I was on alone) and told me "oh you don't want to go to school A" which I thought was kind of out of place. But the HC is heading into his 3rd season and the PC is into his 5th so he has been here with the HC since day 1 which might give him more trust with handling recruiting of pitchers? 

Did he give specific reasons for not going to school A? 

Also, if you liken this experience to real life I would be concerned that the HC hasn't been more involved in your recruitment.  If I was interviewing for a job I would expect to have most of my talks with the owner of the company, and some follow up talks with the person who would be my direct supervisor, but a majority of the talks would be with the owner. 

Is there any down side for this player to straight up ask the HC if he is on the same page with  the PC?

No specific reasons if I can remember correctly, my dad thought he was joking but everyone in the room could tell that I didn't think he was. However, kind of funny that PC said they had a good program going when I met with him the other day. Mixed messages I tell ya.