Skip to main content

Reply to "Commitment overload and NLI"

Go44dad posted:

First round draft picks since 1965 wins it?  Please...

Draft picks last year by conference

SEC 90

B12 48

ACC 44

P12 40

B10 29

The results are in. There will be no recount. 

OK Go44dad, they all have great players, but I just presented one piece of evidence in support of bacdorslider's assertion (that I 100% agree with but Big12 fans and Pac fans seem to take issue with).  Of note, my son was recruited by schools in every P5 and 4 of the 8 the Ivy's, has the measurable and academics that he could have gone anywhere he wanted.  Ultimately he signed with a great D1 baseball program in a smaller conference for multiple reasons, staff, proximity to home, academic match, coaching philosophy, success with pitchers in the draft, etc.

I was trying to give other conferences (outside the SEC) the benefit of the doubt by going back to the beginning of the draft, but I like recent history even better.  If I combine your 2018 numbers with 2019dad's from 2017, the clear pecking order is SEC first, then the ACC followed by the PAC, Big12 and Big10.  It is kind of what we all know if you follow the sport beyond ESPN coverage.

There is no doubt that Texas is an elite and possibly best the program historically, as are USC and Stanford in the PAC.  Without those teams, those conferences are not even close to the SEC currently or historically.  But when it comes to the SEC, you could take out LSU and Florida, and you would still be left with Auburn, Vandy, SC, Ole Miss, Miss St., A&M, UGA, Kentucky, etc.  The SEC is different.  I say this as someone who grew up in  BIG10 country and lived in midway between Columbus and Ann Arbor for my first 40 years. Spending the last 8 in the southeast and following the college baseball for decades, my opinion is that  most Big10 and Big 12 team, outside of a few schools, would struggle in D2 conferences in the SE, which are really just an extension of D1.