2019Dad posted:

Last year was an aberration. I like the 2017 draft picks by conference:

ACC: 75 (average of 5.4 per team)

SEC: 75 (5.4 per team)

P12: 46 (4.2 per team)

B12: 43 (4.8 per team)

B1G: 35 (2.7 per team)

Ivy: 13 (1.6 per team)

Those are the six conferences generally known as the "Power 6," right?

3 to 6 draft picks per team, of those what 10% or so make a career of the MLB...chase the dream if you can but you better have fall back plan. I would be curious how many of the 90% or so that don't make it actually have one. Being an assistant coach in single A is even less appealing then playing it. 

I completely agree with you about coaching in single A. But I know a couple of guys who have done it and loved it. They were career minor leaguers who made it to AAA. They retired when they couldn’t find a MLB organization to sign them for AAA. The strategy all along at that point was to get into coaching.

They both made enough money playing 8-10 years in the minors to not starve. Older AAAA players often make 100k in the minors for a few years. Plus weeks in the majors is a 40K paycheck. One of them spent two years in Japan and made 1M.

i would think the bus rides and Econo Lodges would suck. But these guys have a passion for the game. They see themselves in MLB dugouts some day. 

One kid’s dad told me when the kid was playing he could fall asleep on the floor of the back of the bus with a blanket. I went to a few of his AA games. He was having the most fun of everyone in pregame.