Skip to main content

Reply to "Committed, but should we apply to other schools?"

CTbballDad posted:
standballdad posted:

Son was verbally committed to a HA D3 not ED. Coach thought he had the grades and test scores to get in but we still had our son apply to several other schools just for the academics. He is an engineering major so it limits your choices if baseball is a must have. It was not in my sons case but he would have liked to play if it made sense. He did not get through admissions at the school he verbaled at but did get into a few very good schools one of which he is currently enrolled at.

That sounds like an inexperienced coach, or worse.  We didn't receive an offer from a school, until after the pre-read was done (sent transcript, SAT, Senior Schedule, School Profile).  I'm not sure why that wouldn't be done at every school.

I would suggest, the player/parent, request this process, before they close the door on any other school.  I'm glad it worked out for you, but it must have been tough to verbally commit, then months later told no.  My assumption (hope I'm not wrong) is once you pass the pre-read, the official acceptance is just a matter of process and time (aside from the over-recruitment issue).

The coach was new and was the previous head coach at an Ivy school. He told us during our visit that he was still trying to figure out the admissions process. Don't know if a pre-read was done or just the coaches opinion that he should get through admissions. Sons GPA was well above 4.0 (full of AP courses) and his SAT was around 2100 and an ACT of 33. So son was disappointed to say the least, but like I said he is happy at where he ended up.