Skip to main content

Reply to "Committed Underclassmen"

I found this site when 2021 was a freshman and several of his travel teammates were committing to D1 programs (some P5). 2 committed summer before freshman year, and I was panicked because I thought for sure my 2021 was getting left behind. Almost 2 years later, I can tell you that early commits are not necessary or even advisable. So much can happen between freshman/sophomore year and senior year. I didn't believe that until I witnessed it first hand. The 2 kids I know who committed before 9th grade and enjoyred put it all over social media:  1 decommitted when the coach left the next spring (and then he immediately committed to a better program), and the 14 year old "stud" who was heading for the draft after HS has had issues both on and off the field and is in jeopardy of losing all his opportunities. A LOT can happen in 2-3 years when you're dealing with teenage boys.

What I have personally witnessed with 2018 and 2019 grads is that there are still spots available junior and senior year if you're a good player. If you're good enough to play at a power program, they will find room for you. If you're not at that level, there are lots of other programs out there still looking junior and even senior year. I know a kid who signed with a really good D2 program literally 1 month before he started college. (He wasn't going to play after HS, but changed his mind after he graduated.) Early commits are a rat race that rarely benefits the player, because the coaches are still searching for someone better right up until signing day.