Skip to main content

Reply to "Committing Early"

old_school posted:

Somewhere I referenced a local kid, no names,  I knew who had committed to a perennial top 10 / WS regular in August prior to 10th grade. I said he was very talented, lazy and exactly not what every college baseball person said you needed to be....fast forward to September of 2017 and lo and he behold he has "decided" to "reopen" his recruiting process.

I don't know the details and have no interest in finding them out, at some point I am sure I will hear the truth, but it really sucks for him. He never should have put himself there, they never should have recruited him there....the whole process was bad from the beginning.

So here he is little over 2 years later in October looking for a home, I assume he will end up at weblow county CC or some other place like it where the primary plan of education is draft prep - I expect in about 5 years we will see him coaching the XYZ Elite team in GA and he will be considered something of a baseball expect by many.

It is a sad story that could have been avoided if the coaches / the institutions / and or his advisors had at any point been objective.

It also could have been avoided if the parent(s) and kid did their recruiting research and due diligence.   Caveat emptor.  Responsibility starts in the mirror.   I've seen this story before and it is a bad situation.  There is a lot of blame, but I'm sorry it has to start with the recruit and his family.