Skip to main content

Reply to "Committing for Med School?"

Here is an alternative idea.  I am a dentist, not a physician, but I would imagine it could work for medical school admission.  I was a science major, chemistry then changed to microbiology.  There were a number of guys when I got to dental school that were non science majors.  Some were  business majors, which is actually a great idea as you get ZERO business classes in dental school and then you are supposed to come out and run a small business.  Anyway, my daughter is starting dental school in August.  She was originally a biology major, but she decided after a couple years in college that she wanted to go into early childhood education.  She switched her major, was accepted into the education department and finished her first year of the 2 year program.  She then decided that she wanted to go to dental school after all.  She was worried that she needed to get back into a science major.  I encouraged her not to do that and to continue on the path she was on.  She took the DAT, got interviewed and then was accepted.  One of the things she said they liked was that she was an education major and NOT a science major.  Obviously she had to take the required science classes that were needed for dental school admission, but there is no need to take additional science classes with labs that you don't have to have for admission.  With that idea, I would think you could schedule the science classes with labs in the summers or fall when travel for baseball wasn't required.  I would think this same course of action could be applied to medical school admission.  With some discussion with the coach on the front end, it is doable. 

There were twin brothers, Kessler was their last name, that played basketball at UGA and went on to medical school.  It isn't easy, but it can be done.