Skip to main content

Reply to "Commonwealth District 2009"

Stafford indeed is off to a stellar start.

I'm not sure many people would have projected Stafford to do this well, but everyone knows pre-season picks are all for fun and mean nothing. You have to play the game......

I've seen Stafford play a couple of times and I really like the way they play the game - very fundamentally sound baseball with GREAT coaching... The games I saw they executed the hit and run really well and their defense is solid. They didn't try and do too much, just solid fundamentals.

The pitchers I've seen were lefty's that kept their team in the game and got the strike outs when they needed them the most... At this point, imho, they have filled the shoes of Adam Lopez, maybe not with one pitcher but three and that's what you need to win.

A lot of wins in the Commonwealth this year have been 1 run wins, not just for Stafford but other teams as well. I think North Stafford lost 3 conference games in a row by one run each. Riverbend beat Stafford by 1 run, Stafford beat Colonial Forge by 1 run, Massaponax beat Riverbend by 1 run Mt View beat Massaponax by 1 run and I'm sure there's more...

Lets not forget about Albemarle either who is tied with Stafford in first with only one loss. Not many people projected them to start off this hot....

The teams are overall very evenly matched, it's still anyones district to win and the second time around should be twice as much fun!....

Kudo's to the Stafford players and coaching staff for the great start.
Last edited by Flying Dutchman