Skip to main content

Reply to "Comparing Catchers"

Infopimp:

“You can always tell when someone is teaching something they've never done”.

Please make yourself clear. I caught for many years as a player in the 60’s and 70’s.

And as an adult coach in the 80’s, I did 10 years of research to make a list of skills that catchers routinely perform on the 60/90 fields. During that time I talked with professional catchers and professional scouts (some of which caught professionally). Likewise, college coaches and college catchers as well as elite AAU/Legion coaches in Atlanta. I even interviewed a high school teammate of mine who hit the brick wall in Albuquerque (thanks to Mike Scioscia).

To further prove the validity of each skill, I documented them during numerous Extended Spring Training and Instructional League practices and games that I attended (long lunch hours while working) in Florida as well as hundreds of college and MLB games on television (in sports bars and hotel rooms across the southeast). What started out as a hobby became a passion. Not to make a buck over the Internet (Al Gore had not invented it yet). But because I just wanted to be a good baseball coach. I guess you could say that I am a professional scout of “teachable skills”, not a scout of unteachable talent or tools.

Then in the 90’s, I really put these to the test teaching them in over 300 practices and monitoring them in over 600 games that I coached high schoolers on a 60/90 field.

That’s my “education”. What does yours consist of? Instead of me “editing my list”, why don’t you spend a couple of hours like I did and share 35 things that you teach your catchers. And then let the good people here who catch or coach it, decide whose list makes the most baseball sense when compared to what the majority of MLB catchers do on video.

Please take your time.

THop
Last edited by THop