Skip to main content

Reply to "Comparison Between Minor Leagues and Major D1"

I know, I know, I said I wouldn't post again, but here's a couple drafted out of HS players, Matt Bush and Trevor Plouffe. Their results would have had non-"cream of the crop" players released already. There are many more examples where those came from. They may have the talent to go on to the big leagues but there's also no guarantee they'd have been anything special on a good D1 team their first year out of HS and especially not immediately after HS graduation. Understandably, we're seeing a lot of parochialism in this. BTW, It is amazing how cream of the crop goes from anyone who was drafted in the first 30 rounds to 1st round picks when one is trying to win an argument.

BBscout,
I haven't checked but maybe you can tell me how many of the players you listed as players who have advanced so far in 3 years played short season A ball in their first year and how many played short season A ball in their second year. Remember the D1 players are mostly 2nd through 4th year players and the ones who couldn't cut it have been weeded out while it probably takes most of a short season to weed uninjured players out of short season A.

FBM,
I believe AJ went to a short season A team immediately after his junior season at UCR. How did he do there? Did he struggle against those teams more than he did against the better college teams?

As far as the older players being down there I played on a team with players just out of AA and players currently in A ball against teams with players just out of AA and players in A ball. We were no better than the local JC teams.

Just remember that if there was a Zito and a Prior and even a Jered Weaver in the College ranks before there's similar players there now and they are generally playing for those top 50 D1s.
Last edited by CADad