Skip to main content

Reply to "Comparison Between Minor Leagues and Major D1"

quote:
Originally posted by SBK:
After reading this thread, it sounds like it's quite convincing that the best D1 school's players would be fortunate to be able to carry the bat bags for even the short season rookies. That kind of surprises me since many of these players are 18 and 19 year old players just out of high school as well as quite a few light hitting, over-hyped latin players.

Do colleges still get to play exhibition games against the mlb squads during their spring training?

From my recollection, even against players much superior than short season rookie ball, the college teams acquitted themselves quite well.

I can't recall a college team even getting more than a run off in a spring exhibition game. The pro players are usually the bench and minor leaguers in the exhibition games.

Most GA Tech/Braves BC/Red Sox games have been blow outs.

Go to a D1 game and a high A or AA game in the same week. The differences in nearly every aspect of the games are striking. Why would they even be close? The college kids are 18-20 year old part-time amateurs. The pro guys are 22-25 year old full-time professionals.

The pros are bigger, faster, throw farther, harder and hit the ball harder, with wood. It is like comparing, um, Big 10 Golf and the Nationwide Tour. It ain't even close.