Skip to main content

Reply to "Comparison Between Minor Leagues and Major D1"

As fas as short season in the NYPenn, what you have basically a lot of college players now playing with wood. I can't speak for the other levels. Long season A is much different than short season A.

A compressed long season in college can take just as much toll on the body, IMO. 100 innings in a short period of time is tough. The hardest adjustment Dave said the pitchers found was going from 4 days to 7, different preparation.

Travel distance was not that bad (for the short time he was playing), no horror stories I had heard about, he was used to long bus rides (7-10) in college. The schedule is pretty much set up to make life less on the road than more. I am not sure about other leagues.

My son's roommate is a HS 40 something round pick given 30-40K to sign. Three weeks ago he came ready to play. Up at 6:30 am to play early games in the GCL, and nothing to do from that afternoon to the next morning until you have to get up again 7 days a week has become a pretty redundant routine. Of course not living far from the beach is a plus for him, but being only 17, no transportation, very far from home, he is very limited in what he can and can't do here in south florida. Also, the cards GLC in FL is made up mostly of those being moved up from the rookie league in South America, whereas, Johnson City rookie league has more US players and those from college. I am not sure it is such a great place for rookies in that sense. My son's opinion, from what he has seen of the GCL rookie league is young HS age players playing with wood.

My opinion will always remain the same on the subject, unless you have been given a higher round opportunity or get nice life changing money to sign, go to school first.
Last edited by TPM