Skip to main content

Reply to "Computerized Strike Zone"

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Umpire:
First, there was no name calling whatsoever.

Evidently I’ve misunderstood what’s below. I sure thought you were calling me a computer as some kind of a putdown.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Umpire:…
As a computer, you are missing the finer points of the game already in your argument for computers and IR. Very similar to what a computer will do and thus miss the point of having human umpires over computer ones.

quote:
When certain things become customary or accepted, things are called based on that. It is accepted not to call the one up and in. Both, pitchers and hitters, accept that and they generally accept a little off the outside part to make up for it. Give a little, take a little. Computers have no concept of this. Again, I think you are missing the finer points still.

Not missing anything. To me, its just a nicer way of saying cheating is ok because its accepted. Me, if the defined zone is so lousy, I’d think they’d just move the inside of the batter’s boxes 6 more inches away from the plate, then go ahead and call the zone as defined.

quote:
Careers will be shorter due to the "finesse" pitchers won't be given what they have been working with. Now, those just off the plate strikes are no longer and there will be less chasing those pitches. Again, a lot of these type pitchers would not make it very long.

Well, I don’t agree that a finesse pitcher’s career would necessarily be shorter, but I do believe there would be a ton of power pitchers either backing off to get some control, or hitting the bricks. Its all in what the owers determine they want to see in the game.

quote:
For MLB hitters, it is a huge advantage. The under the elbows pitch will be challenging. But, when the pitcher loses that inch or 2 off the white, not much of a challenge anymore when the pitch isn't under the elbows. Not for a MLB hitter. The challenge becomes less since many can't put it under the elbows consistently especially since it is unnatural feeling to put the ball that high intentionally. A good pitcher wants to drive the ball down and change level of perception.

This isn’t to question what you’re saying, but rather to find out if you’re talking from personal experience or from what you “believe” is true. Are you or have you been connected with MLB in any capacity? Like I said, it makes no difference to me, other than to determine how much weight to give what you’re saying. In research I’ve done, I’ve talked to a current and a retired ML umpire about this, many Ex and active ML pitchers, a couple of EX ML pitching coaches, and more active and ex ML players than I can remember, and once you get past all the rhetoric and chest puffing, none has ever said anything like you’ve just said. Many of them don’t like the idea of IR or technology calling pitches, but only from a traditional sense, not one of accuracy or how it would affect the ability of the players to cope.

quote:
I understand fans will still go to the games and pay money. That will not change. Fans want to see the game regardless of who calls it. But, this is not a fan's forum. It is an umpire's forum and many, if not most, will not like the idea. It isn't about money in these discussions of opposition. That is for MLB to deal with.

OK, now its clear. Because I’m not an umpire, what I have to say carries no weight and isn’t appreciated because this is an umpire’s forum. Not a problem.

quote:
Now, you are talking about who makes the decision and who pays for it. We don't care about that part here. Going that route has absolutely NO value to the discussion of pros/cons.

I get it. You don’t want to be challenged in any, shape or form because you’ve made up your mind and nothing will ever change it. Fine. I get it. No harm, no foul, and I’ll just refrain from any further participation.