Skip to main content

Reply to "Conflicting Off-Season Training Between H.S. and Elsewhere"

CoachB25: Not angry in the slightest. I enjoyed the discussion.  And I absolutely get that for a coach to attend pre-dawn workouts takes commitment on his part.

My initial goal was to ask whether your morning work outs might be asking so much from players that it took away from academics. I tried to pose it as a question, not an assertion. Then (IMO) the discussion shifted to arguments in favor of the kind of self-discipline and maturity that we wish every kid possessed, but I think not many do as teens.   I admit to being frustrated with posts about  kids who work out 3 hours a day while pursuing demanding academic programs. Nothing against those kids of course (I aspire to raise a couple like that myself), but they aren’t the mine run of HS baseball players. Maybe even an average player/student can and should be able to handle 5 or 6 a.m. workouts... I’m skeptical, but I don’t categorically say no.

I said the previous was my last post on this topic not because of any anger, but because when I get wound up about a topic here I tend to write too much and it eats up my time.  I enjoy the discussions here very much, but I was trying to cut myself off on this one.