Skip to main content

Reply to "Confusing Shoulder Pain"

Baseball2,

Sorry to hear of your pain and struggles.  The shoulder is a morass, and not an easy diagnosis or fix.  RHP son had some shoulder pain last year of HS baseball, and in that last year of pitching wide swings in command.  Played summer collegiate wood bat league as a rising freshman and lasted two horrible outings where throwing a strike was impossible due to the pain at point of release.

Went to PT who put hands on and felt it was just "fatigue."  His college PC shut him down and sent him home.

Our hometown Ortho did X-ray.  "Negative.  It's fatigue," he said.

Pain continued at home home.  Had hometown Ortho take MRI.  "Negative."

Off to summer school and summer workouts, pain still there.  Team Trainer and Team Doc put him on anti-inflammatories, and more PT.

Pain now worse than ever, now late September of freshman fall season.

Team Doc did 2nd MRI with arm in different position.  MAJOR LABRUM TEAR.

My point is that getting a verifiable, definitive diagnosis is surprisingly hard for the shoulder.  I think 9and7 (poster on here) would agree.   A lot of players have labrum tears they "live with."  Some can do that, depending on how much a tear it is apparently.  I'm  not an expert.  Just the dad of a RHP who is going through it. 

Son had surgery on shoulder mid-October and will be out 12-18 months.  Not the start to his college career he envisioned.  

So, keep getting opinions.  Make sure the shoulder is in a position for the MRI where the pain area can be seen.  Again, talk to the docs about this and make sure the techs the day of the MRI allow you to move your arm to the position it needs to be in to be thoroughly read (son had to stop his second MRI and call the ortho as the techs weren't getting the position son felt he needed to make the 2nd MRI legit).  I am not giving medical advice.  Just keep exploring.  If the pain is there, then something must be there causing it.  

Good luck.