Skip to main content

Reply to "Confusing Shoulder Pain"

iplaybaseballtoo posted:

Hello people of HSBaseballForum,

I have had persisting shoulder pain for roughly 7 months now and it is demoralizing. I feel I should be performing at a much higher level than I currently am and that simple thought irritates me beyond belief. I have a pain towards the front of my shoulder before I rotate my arm fully to throw the baseball (after external rotation but before internal rotation). Originally I thought the pain simply came from shoulder tightness so I went to a doctor to have the issue cleared. The first doctor believed I had bursitis and the second doctor thought my shoulder was in well repair but hypermobile and weak. As waiting should have cured the bursitis, and I followed a rigorous rehab routine in an effort to be ready for the upcoming spring season, I have no reason to be unable to perform right now. This whole situation infuriates me beyond belief. As I am unable to play, I am getting a third opinion on my shoulder and considering going into surgery. The thing that confuses me is that my MRI(with contrast) came back negative for a labrum tear. RIght now, I feel the current diagnosis by the third doctor may be a labrum injury or bursitis which would require surgery. I am at a crossroads right now and I feel that I am drowning. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it

Stats:
Height: 6’1
Weight: 145
Baseball Level: Majors (Select Baseball)

I can imagine your frustration and disappointment. I can offer my son's experience. In the summer leading into his junior year of high school, my son developed discomfort in his elbow and shoulder. Went round and round with docs who pressed for continued PT. His coach finally said he had had enough and got him into the top doc at Jefferson, who happens to work with many of our local teams and athletes- school and professional. He ordered very specific testing which showed his ulnar nerve was tracking poorly and and thus he underwent surgery. Senior year went well, until end of season when he developed increased shoulder pain. At this point, he shut down, playing only as a DH. Again round and round with docs, all telling him it was tendonitis.  On to this season, his first JUCO. Shoulder pain intensified even though he was working with a trainer. He played very well, leading the nation in homeruns, and breaking school records, until April 18th. That was when he finally decided enough was enough. School set him up with a doc who finally ordered an MRI w/contrast. Like I said it showed labrum/ SLAP  tears among other things. He was scheduled for surgery the next day (this past Wednesday). Low and behold, surgeon gets in there and discovers a full thickness rotator tear. He also had a SLAP tear, but it was not as bad as it looked on MRI. What we have since learned was that SLAP tears and even rotator cuff tears do not always show up in a MRI. Had he not undergone surgery, we may have never known his rotator was shredded and he would only have continued to be in serious pain until finally his shoulder gave out, which was just about where he was. I'd suggest finding a reputable, top notch ortho doc and getting an MRI. Insurance frowns upon the MRI until PT has failed, but sounds like PT had not helped you anyway. Stretch before and after games, use ice and don't over lift at the gym. Good luck, hope you find some answers sooner rather than later.