Skip to main content

Reply to "Congratulations to Menchville"

First of all let me add to the conversation that Menchville is 22-1, the #5 team in the country according to BA, and the guy on the mound has lost one game in two years while being verballing committed to a top 25 collge team (ECU) as a SOPHOMORE.

The guys knew what they were up against. They also knew they would be up against not only a very talented team, but a very emotional, fiery team (and crowd). They were extremely fired up, maybe too much, but they wanted to prove that they could play on their level and knew they had to match their intensity in order to play with them.

As far as Chris goes...
* The ump that tossed him was 5 feet from the first base foul line inside of the bag when he gave him the heave.
* Chris said just before the game started, "I don't want this to be my last game."
* Chris was fired up even more by some comments made directly to him on the field by Menchville's players, a coach, and the fans throughout the game. Did he let himself hear too much? Hard to miss a player or coach right beside you saying some really classless things... and their fans were plenty loud for anyone to hear.
* His outburst was directed at their fans and their reaction/words when Alley went down, not the umpire.
* Chris would run through a wall for any of his teammates or family. He is a kid any coach would want on their team due to his ability to keep his teammates together, and we all appreciate everything he has brought to IR baseball.
* Chris is going to Chowan to play golf & knew this was it for him.
* You have to remember, these are 16-18 year old guys who knew that they were playing "the #5 team", for a trip to STATES, and if they lose their HS career was over.
* Too emotional? I don't think so. Should he have let their fans get in his head? No. Does it excuse any rude behavior? Absolutely not. Do you think yesterday was one he'll hurt for a while about? Heck yes.

As far as the game, everyone mentions Menchville's E's, but only 1 of their 5 runs was earned as well. Some costly mistakes on D, coupled with a lack of clutch hits (left quite a few in scoring position) was the difference.

Regardless, Menchville is a great team, and as someone mentioned earlier, the majority of their players our guys had no problem with. Some were talking some stuff out there that only the guys on the field know about, but the majority played with class.

To have adult fans chanting classless things to high school kids, that, I hope, everyone can agree on is beyond understanding. To have the same ADULT fans go ALONG with some Menchville players and climb a fence to go after some guys on the other team on the way to their bus to ridicule them?? Never have seen that before and hopefully never will again.

Anyway, I notice that this site revolves around reporting scores ... and being extremely negative about other teams & people, and that is a shame. Many posts here are very immature and classless themselves and they aren't written by 17 year olds either, so if I don't respond to a post, it'll be because of the clear lack of mature quality.
Last edited by RiverBaseball24