Skip to main content

Reply to "Contacting College Coaches"

shortnquick,
Great post and welcome.

I don't think that PG said not to contact coaches, his statement being seen is most important is 100% correct. I think that we all understand that there are times when that may be difficult, so I do not see anything wrong with sending out precise, down to the point material for the coach to review. Intro letter and a brief bio, too much info turns them off (as PG had indicated).

Here's a scenerio. Is this appropriate?

Player sends out DVD and info to college recruiting coach.
Program replies by sending questionaire, asking for schedule, also invites player to camp. Parent calls, asks coach did you like what you saw in the video, is it important for him to show up at your camp, are you really interested or not, by the way, that schedule, let us know when you are planning to be there so we can make sure he's pitching that day, we'll be there to to meet you as well. And FWIW, he just pitched a gem last weekend. Incredible, his two seamer had so much movement that day it was amazing (yes these conversations take place often). My son's dream has always been to attend your program, He'd give anything to be a (you insert the mascot).

I think the word "marketing" may be misunderstood by it's use in this particular topic. The parent who has taken the time to get their son seen by way of showcases, and tournaments, perhaps camps (or unofficial visits) where those of importance are watching, have, "marketed" their player, without the paperwork. They have done it through a different contact method, rather than by DVD, phone calls, etc. I htink the point aobut the postage PG made was if yuo sent a package out like that to everyone, why not just spend a bit more and attend the right showcase or tourney where you will be seen and perhaps (most importantly) evaluated or rated properly.
Sending out materials and then waiting in your own little corner of the local ballpark for a coach to show up isn't going to work these days.

Great post by FO. Parents, let your players do the talking, the coaches will contact YOU when they want to speak with YOU. If your son's are shy, this is a good time for them to learn how to talk to others, and true, don't worry, coaches know what to say and expect them to be nervous.

Don't ever make excuses that your son's didn't have time to do some of the work that they should do in the recruiting process, that includes, for them to do some homework on programs they may be interested in, because they will be the ones attending not you. Let them fill out the questionares sent by coaches, most cover much of the same questions, do a few with him and then make copies so they can fill them out, and don't worry about having too much to do right now, in a short year, they will be multi tasking bigtime, let them learn it now and how to manage their time. Handing you a list of schools he's high on isn't going to work either, them programs contacted should be that of the player's talent ability. And don't go on the premise he is projectible, that is for the coach to decide.

My son's travel coach, who ran a program for over 10 years getting kids seen and scholarships was very helpful in the process, it cost us plenty to join the team, but what he learned from him was invaluable and who saw him play was as well, resulting in nice exposure and nice offers. Who your son plays for his senior summer is VERY important in the process.