Skip to main content

Reply to "Contacting College Coaches"

quote:
I cannot deny frustration at how luck plays a big part in this process.

Luck is one of the main ingredients in baseball success. Those who don't believe that will end up being believers. However there are things that can be done to increase chances of success. There is some truth to "The harder I work, the luckier I am". You could add "The better decisions I make, the luckier I'm likely to be".

quote:
He had a great day pitching a complete game, allowed no earned runs and only gave up four hits. He had a handful of strikeouts, and did not walk a single kid.

quote:
You can send your son to the events, he can perform great, and all you hear is silence as you sit by the phone.

Scouts and recruiters are unlikely to have any idea of how many hits, strikeouts, etc. What statistically could be a great game doesn't guarantee interest from them. They are simply looking for those who have the talent to be successful at their level. This is not to say your son doesn't possess that talent. There is no reason to sit by the phone, if they are seriously interested, they will find you.

We have run across a few people who think all they have to do is attend a certain event and "bingo" the phone starts ringing with offers from colleges or interest from pro scouts. While that can happen, there are no guarantees. Exposure is not always a positive thing... Some benefit greatly, some slightly, and some not at all.

quote:
Yet despite this tourney being touted as having college coaches and MLB scouts, there was not a single scout in sight the entire game.

Not sure where you were, but you will not have that issue, you'll see several hundred (maybe close to 1.000) scouts and recruiters next week (The most you've ever seen at one place). However there is no guarantee how many will be at any one game.

The reason I asked about a private message identifying your son is he sounds interesting. I'd actually like to see him and have our scouts glue in on him. If we like him a lot, things are likely to turn out well. But of course I respect your privacy.

Best of luck