Skip to main content

Reply to "Contacts for Astigmatism"

JDUBSDAD posted:

In my 20's, I developed a rare corneal condition called Keratoconus that is not correctable with glasses.  As a result, I have worn contacts for 30 years (soft extended wear, hard, and soft daily wear) so I consider myself kind of an unwilling expert in the area.  While the old hard lenses provided the best vision, they moved around too much when playing sports, swimming, etc...  The soft lenses are great if they can give you good enough vision correction, but they can move around sometimes, especially if you get some dust particles on the lense or try to swim in them.  Recently, I was fitted with Schleral lenses, which are a hard plastic but kind of suction to your eye with a film of saline as a buffer.  All I can say is the Schleral lenses are life-changing.  Not only did they bring my vision back to almost 20-20 (it is terrible without them)  but they don't move around on my eyes when playing sports or even swimming.  It takes a little getting used to putting them in and taking them out (different from standard contacts), but the little extra work is well worth it.  I'm not sure if getting Schelerals is worth it for people needing only a small correction, but for any others (especially athletes) I think they would be hard to beat.  

I have keratoconus as well. My eye doc also talked about those lenses. Apparently they are phenomenal if you can get used to them.  She said if I can get the CXL it would be better than the Schleral lenses. Basically, the RGP’s won’t work now because the cornea is so steep it rubs against the lens.