Skip to main content

Reply to "Content in emails to coaches"

PitchingFan posted:
PABaseball posted:
PitchingFan posted:

I would disagree with PABaseball on one thing.  Grades always matter.  It is the one question that every college scout asked my son in some form from the time he was 8th grade on.  How are your grades?  How do you do in the classroom?  What is your GPA?  They all need to know this or there is no reason to scout you, not just HA.

I'll never deny the value of good grades, I'm just saying the grades do not matter until you can identify yourself as a prospect. For example, the coaches asking your son about his grades were only doing so because they liked what he could do on the mound. When LSU is recruiting a kid they look at his fastball range and his off speed pitches, not how many honors classes he's in. That comes after the determine they like what they see. There was a post somewhere on here from I believe the Illinois or Indiana coach responding to a parent where they mention the same thing. 

Now if you read at a fifth grade level and that is reflected in your grades you will get crossed off some lists. But so will throwing 81 at an SEC camp. That being said, nothing wrong with throwing your GPA in the email. I just meant theres no need to list all honors classes and how excited you are for your creative writing class next semester. That is a great way to have the email sent to the trash bin. 

I agree on overdoing it.  I don't they care what classes you took as long as it is 3.00 or above.  I also have told people not to put SAT or ACT scores on there if they are not good.  Better nothing than bad stuff but they will ask if they are interested because unless you throw it 95 or hit tanks they will not work hard to get you in their school.  One HA school told my middle son they were strongly interested in him and they had one more exemption left to get a kid in but they were not sure they could keep him in.  We laughed.  Both of my sons got letters from Stanford and most of the Ivy's.  Great interest but no way my kids are making it those places.

As I have said before.  The easiest way to give them information is to build a free website that you can add stuff to, but not overkill so they can go one place to see all the information.  Put link in email.  It worked for us both times and since then I have kept them active so they have them as momentos.  My middle son called not long ago and wanted to know the website so he could show his college softball team that he was triple threat as football, basketball and baseball in high school. 

This is my second time around, so maybe things are a little different now. Which free website to build the profile are y'all using? I used Field Level last time.

Thanks