Skip to main content

Reply to "Cooperstown Dreams Park"

I had to laugh at label everything - doesn't matter - the kids still don't know what their own clothes look like. Pack light for the players - really.  They get uniforms and all they wear otherwise is shorts and tshirts. CDP has laundry service daily...  Washed and folded.

Funny to see 100's of boys in red and blue uniforms, all with high socks like the owner wants. Flip flops are a must and don't be afraid to leave them in the trash when you leave. A fan is a must.  As parents take turns providing a cooler or two with water and gatorades.  Our parents had 2 sets of rolling coolers that after each game would be rotated with the now empty ones. As coaches we kept hoping there'd be a beer at the bottom, but alas the parents didn't want us kicked out.  Don't be surprised when your child doesn't want to meet with you after the game - he wants to get back to the barracks and trade pins.  Pin trading is like drugs - kids run around like lunatics trying to trade.  Quite a few adults do it too, so just prepare them for that which to me was a bit weird.

It's an amazing venue to watch a game - on my last visit as a coach I just sat in a chair along the 3b side and listened to all the "action" around.  While it can be super hot during the day - nights cool down.  Some early morning games are played in the fog - kind of cool to see a ball hit off into the distance...  And yes, they do play at 2AM if they need to finish up games - the kids *don't care* - they are having a blast. The sentiment so far about it being the best experience is echoed by many players.  Before you go you cannot figure out what the big deal is, but after you get back and think about it - you want to go again (unless of course you have sleep with 12+ boys who lets face it aren't up for sleeping the first few nights...)

The food isn't that expensive which is nice, but EVERYONE does the math when they're there.  It's a like a money printing business.  They do put on a great show from opening ceremonies to the closing ring presentation where every players name is announced in the main stadium. On day 3 before the tourney - find out where the top 8 teams are playing and try to catch a game or two with them playing.  Games are set up in pods so it's easy to catch 8 teams playing - it's amazing to see the talent and how the better teams play the game.