Skip to main content

Reply to "Cooperstown Field Of Dreams"

Like many of us, I have been involved in many of these types of blowout games over the years, as a player, a parent, and a coach. For people of good character, these types of games are not any fun for anyone -- victor or vanquished.

I was forutnate enough to have a Father and Coaches who taught me that it is more important HOW you win, and lose, than that you win or lose. Character counts.

When you are on the short end of one of these, you have to keep battling. Every pitch, every down, every second ... you keep battling and give your very best to your team, your coaches, your fans, and yourself. You may lose the game, but when you walk away from the field knowing that you gave your very best you will have won something.

When you are on the winning side of one of these games, it is important that you recognize that you have the far superior team on the field that day, and you adjust accordingly. There are plenty of ways to take your foot off the throttle without stealing the dignity of the other team.

Personally, I don't want to see a team begin to bat opposite handed, or step on home plate to make an out, or jog the bases to create out opportunities. That is an insult to the other kids.

Empty your bench, play station-to-station, play kids out of position, pitch your non-pitchers; all of these are ways you can ease up on the throttle without taking away the dignity of the kids on the other team.

And by all means, teach your kids when it is time to stop hooting and hollering, and to transition into the "gallery clap" that shows a restrained respect for good play.

I also believe that the coach is responsible for making sure the parents/fans maintain a proper level of dignity and decorum. Too many times it is the parents in the stands whose behavior sets the wrong tone. Applaud excellence from both sides. Cheer in a positive fashion for your team, not against the other team; and by all means, know when to shut the @#$% up.

Respect the game. Respect the opposition. Respect yourself. It is always a sad day when these basic tennants of good character and sportsmanship are forgotten.

Blow-outs are going to happen. In the long run, it is more important HOW you win, and lose, than that you win or lose. Character does count.

Just a thought.