Skip to main content

Reply to "Cooperstown Tips"

Red Sox -

200' for the 12 year olds we have played against is a very short fence. My son's team typically plays on fences that are 275 feet plus. I've seen kids clear those distances but not too often. There are monsters out there however. Our boys were in a tourney a few weeks ago and I saw several kids clear 300 feet. That's not the norm but it can happen.

We'll be in Cooperstown in mid-July.

Doughnutman...

Baseball is pretty serious in Texas, probably because the weather (although very extreme) lets the kids practice and play games so much. I like the fact that they can play so much because that many games means the kids have chances to pull out of slumps and not dwell on past personal failures or losses. Yeah, you can feel bad about your slump or last night's tough loss but you better get ready for the next game. The more games you have, the more chances for success or wins you have.

Our teams typically play 60 games in the Spring and 20-30 in the Fall. We start training in January and games start in March. The season will end in Cooperstown. In the Fall & Winter, baseball takes a backseat to football and basketball but once March 1 hits, our boys are playing baseball. We practice a couple of times a week plus most of the parents invest in some kind of private lessons. Three out of four weekends we are scheduled for tourneys. You can do it if you have enough quality pitching depth. Our team <knocking on lots of wood> has been very fortunate in not suffering any major arm injuries but we have lots of pitching and the coaches watch it closely.