Skip to main content

Reply to "Cost of being recruited"

I am going to suggest that this thread be moved to another area after it winds down.
By looking at the number of views and posts, it obviously is a serious consideration for many parents, how much do I spend trying to get son into a good school where he can play. And where do I spend it.
If most parents are good business people, they look for return of their investment towards this goal. The investment being how much they spent over the years for a scholarship. And sometimes if you are not on those "lists' you feel you have to spend more, and you most probably will.
After having a son in college for two years I have found that free tuition is just a small piece of the costs. There is much else to consider as well, as I can tell you that cost of living, gas, food, travel(don't forget new ipods, new computers Big Grin) is sky high these days. The real spending begins when they set foot on the college campus. Eek

As always I do believe that the first goal in going to college is to further one's education or at least get a jump start on it. Players and their parents that keep that goal in mind usually end up the winners. Being able to play after college is an added bonus to their journey. And very often, you do not have to attend the best of the best programs to get drafted. Your son's talent will in the end speak for itself, no matter where you go to play.
Will added exposure outside of HS ball help, you bet it will. Will attending the premier showcases and tournaments add value to your son's scholarship, maybe. I think that for many us all that is pretty evident, and shouldn't be an issue. How you spend with what you have, I do believe, is why Fungo began this discussion.

And remember, showcases, travel ball, summer ball, lessons, tournaments,area code, aflac, etc. have little meaning if your son cannot keep up in the classroom, if he wishes to play ball in college. Smile
Last edited by TPM