Skip to main content

Reply to "Cost of Summer Ball"

One thing I have realized through this journey with three baseball players and a son who coaches travel softball, the better player you are and the higher competition you play the cheaper it seems to be.  I can guarantee you that the top teams in any travel sport are paying for their A team with other teams or have sponsors to pay for it.  The top team members are not paying to play.  Some of you will never recoup your money.  I cannot imagine paying $10,000 a year to play baseball, softball, or basketball to try to get a college scholarship or any other reward.  I thought ours was crazy when we were spending $2-3,000 a year to hopefully one day get a scholarship that is worth a few thousand dollars.  I do not understand paying thousands of dollars in training facilities and club fees to play on a team that will get your son/daughter to a small school.  Almost every top player in every state has an opportunity to play for free, some choose not to because they would rather play with a certain club but they have been given the opportunity.  There are true scout teams that the major league teams pay for everything out there also, not every team that calls themselves a scout team.  You have to ask yourself what is the end game.  If you pay more than $5,000 what are you wanting to get out of it.  What kind of scholarship will you get or what kind of team will they play on or what other thing are you wanting to get out of it?  Just know that the top guys are not paying that for any aspect of it.   There are guys out there that know their stuff and are willing to lessons for hitting or pitching for $40 an hour.  No one cares the name behind the lessons they just want to see the results.  They realize that the best guys in the lesson business do as many or more lessons for kids who will never play college ball as they do for those who will become pros.  The bad lessons are easier than the kid who is already defined.  it is a lot easier to teach a kid to just throw the ball than it is to refine a kid who is at the top of the game and wanting to add a fourth pitch or add 3 mph.  If your kid is not a D1 player, there is no reason to go to the big tournaments or travel around the world.  Stay near home and play on a team that will be seen by the schools he will be recruited by.  If they are a stud who wants to be at a large school, then you have to go with a team to tournaments where the large schools will be.