Skip to main content

Reply to "could this be???"

quote:
infielddad
i may be wrong but if that boy is out of mlb,after 3 weeks or a season he can still play college ball? maybe not d1? there is a ncaa rule that allows players that don't make it in the minors to play in college. i believe they need to pay back some money? not 100% sure.and if he only lasted a short time he may not have recieved his signing bonus,only some per diem money.

20s, there is a big difference between players who do not make it in the minors and a player who signs a contract and does not want to play. In the former, the players were "released" by their club/contract. I understand they can play DII/DIII in some situations, after being released by the ML club.
In the situation I described, the team is not voiding the contract or releasing the player from it. The ML team says the contract is signed and if the young man wishes to play baseball, it will be under that contract.
The common theme in each situtation is that once you sign a ML contract, you play with that team until you are relased or the contrac voided by the team.
I agree with Bee. MLB does not want players to find "loopholes" in the draft process. Players cannot cotrol the process by dropping out of school and the like.
Last edited by infielddad