Skip to main content

Reply to "Cubs win"

Midlo Dad posted:

This has to go down as one of the all time great Series.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this from above:  "Umpiring behind the plate was brutal entire series."

Actually the umpiring in general was poor, which is amazing when you consider that the guys picked to handle the WS are supposed to be the cream of the crop.  Video replays spared us some of what otherwise would've been embarrassing calls, e.g., the muff by Baez when trying to turn a bare-handed DP last night, initially called an out at 2nd.  Unfortunately we still have no help for the ball/strike situation.

If the still relatively new commissioner wants to make his mark, he can work on more accountability in this area.  Hendricks got pulled last night because of one terrible call -- maybe an overreaction by Maddon, but still, a  two-run inning doesn't happen if a correct strike call is made on what was, quite frankly, not even a borderline pitch.  I will say, the calls weren't biased; it went both ways.  Miller had another guy K'ed who ended up walking, leading to another run.  It went on all night. 

In the penultimate game of a season that ran for over 7 months, it was an embarrassment.  And frankly, Joe West was just as bad in game 6. 

Players who perform that poorly lose their jobs.  Umpiring is not the U.S. Supreme Court.  When umpires screw up repeatedly, they need to go.  It's not like there aren't hundreds of aspiring prospects working hard to get better for the all-too-rare opening at the MLB level.

I don't know what they use for a grading but anytime you have cowboy Joe West umping you don't have the cream of anything. The man is a POS and an embarrassment to the profession.