Skip to main content

Reply to "Cuesta College"

Cuesta is in my neck of the woods.  I was just there Saturday watching a fall DH between two JC's (Cuesta and MPC), both with players I have coached.  I can provide a good deal of info, pros and cons via pm if you wish.  But it would be nice if you at least acknowledged my question.

Lots of good info so far, although the Poly factor is a non-factor for a student with very poor grades - not an easy school to get into.  Over the last six or eight years, Cuesta typically gets between 70-95 players show up in the fall.  This is one of the few California JC's that get more than just a few players from outside of the immediate area.  Usually very competitive, although due to some unusual circumstances, had a few under-performing years lately.

I think I saw a post from you/son ?? about being at 80-82 in June?  If he is still sitting there, he won't necessarily be a lock to make the squad.  HC is very much a pitcher guy and there will be development there. 

Also, something to consider... depending on what type of struggles there are academically, you may take a look at the small school D3/NAIA options.  Many of these schools with small class sizes allow for such kids to flourish in school.  Going the California JC route, this will probably not be the case (class size/professor support) and he will have to navigate additional hurdles such as maintaining proper transferable class load to move on to a 4-year school without spending an extra semester (or two).  In the past, Cuesta has been fairly tough in regards to requiring baseball-related classes which makes it even more difficult to add in the proper number of basic academic courses.  And, while JC route is rightfully suggested for those who don't have the high grades to get into certain schools, you still have to pass your classes to maintain eligibility to play.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you want more detail. 

Last edited by cabbagedad