Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveball @ 9 yrs."

quote:
The study evaluated the relationship between the types of pitches thrown (fastball, change-up, curveball, and slider) and shoulder or elbow pain. Pitchers in the 9-14 age bracket who threw sliders were 86% more likely to experience elbow pain during the season. Pitchers who threw curveballs were 56% more likely to experience shoulder pain during the season."

There are three types of lies. Lies, **** lies and statistics. The problem I have with the above "proof" is that it does not appear to factor in pitch count. If a player throws all fastballs how effective are they going to be and how long are they going to be left in. Also, what percentage of pitches were curves for the ones with trouble? I would not advocate the 80% curves that I see some players throwing.

It also does not factor in how the curves were thrown. Most kids try and twist the wrist to get spin instead of allowing the arm action and hand position to determine spin.

Statistics are fine but there are too many factors to determine if your son is going to have a problem. Mine has been throwing one since 10 and has almost no arm trouble.

To my knowledge, the only consistent data is that injury increases with pitch count - duh!

Almost all youth player's arms are in lousy condition to throw any pitch.