Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveball @ 9 yrs."

Rocket,

What insult? The "think deeply" comment came because it was obvious, based on your comments, that you were not analyzing this at any depth. When you compare a football throw to a curveball throw, you made this rather apparent.

I didn't say, "You idiot, anyone can tell there are major differences in a curveball throw and football throw". I asked you to think through it.

The comprehend comment came after you obviously were either not reading what was posted, or not comprehending. Since you responded to what was posted, I could only assume it was the latter.

Every coach in this area with whom I have talked about the curve has stated that it is tougher on their arm when they throw it in BP. And yes, we do compare grips and arm action.

I do not supinate at all when I throw the curve. The wrist is sideways and the action is down. Again, no supination.

Of course they will experiment some. But when the situation is explained to them and throwing it is not condoned, they will throw it less. As compared to when its use is advocated. That should be obvious to anyone.

I explained the dangers to my pitchers in detail. Including bad wrist action vs. correct wrist action. And told them the positive reasons not to throw the curve early (e.g., better development of fastball and c/u). And also that if I saw curveball spin on a ball, they were going to the bench immediately. Did they throw it in warmups or away from the field sometime? Quite possibly. Did they throw it at the field or in the game? Nope.

You say that not throwing the curve will "ruin a kids chances of having fond memories of baseball just because of the opinions in some report". That is the most ludicrous statement I have seen in a while. Can you show any valid cause/effect relationship there? Of course not.

You pick one report that is a theoretical analysis of biomechanics and want that to wholly support your position. But then you ignore the report based on actual (not theoretical) evidence.

You have your mind made up, regardless of the facts.

Have a wonderful day.