Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveball @ 9 yrs."

quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
As for my comment about kids not having good memories about baseball. I am saying that an average pitcher that doesn't throw a curveball will likely not pitch past 12 years old. I have seen this many times in my area. If they don't have some success, then they will quit before they even get to high school.

Wow. That is an incredible statement.

I did not allow any of my pitchers to throw a curve until 13YO. And then they could only use it sparingly.

And guess what? The pitchers who played on my teams for a couple of seasons or more are still pitching as they go into HS!

And they were successful pitchers without the curve. They had several fastball grips and at least one changeup grip that they used. They were taught pitch strategy and pitch selection. How to change speeds, location, angles, movement. How to read the batter.

They enjoyed success. Many of them still don't use the curve much. They don't need to. A good changeup is a better pitch than a curve, as it is harder to detect if thrown properly (e.g., with identical fastball mechanics).

Young pitchers do not, I repeat "not", need a curve to be successful. They do need to be able to thow a changeup, unless they are an incredible fireballer. {And even then, they need to learn to throw a good changeup, because at some point they will no longer be able to blow it by the hitters.} They do need some command of their fastball.

I have seen the reverse of what you described. I have seen pitchers throwing curves at 9/10YO. And they showed potential. And yes, they had success. But they were no longer pitching by 12YO, because of arm problems in some cases and because of an underdeveloped fastball in other cases.

I have never seen a logical case made for taking the risk.