Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveballs"

46, I agree to an extent. Yes, you do have to have a good reliable fastball and you have to be able to spot it. But, we play in a region in which there are 23 D-1 signees and a bunch of other guys signed to other colleges. You can't just throw well placed fastballs.

When Bballson threw too many fastballs in a row, he got hit. Not always hard, but the ball was getting through. When he mixed things up, even with just the FB and CU, he was successful. When he left the FB up, it got hammered more times than not. I can't tell you how many times he threw 3 or 4 fastballs in a row to a hitter and had the last one served up for at least a single. Granted, many of them were not hit hard, but they would hit a single off the handle on an inside pitch, or off the end of the bat into opposite field on a FB at the knees on the outside corner.

The biggest thing I preached to him all season was mix up your pitches. Change speed. If coach/catcher calls too many fastballs, shake him off and change speeds. Must be done. He was throwing probably 84-85 by the end of the season. That is enough to blow a fastball by one of these big guys if they are looking for a CU, but not if you throw them 3 FB's in a row, no matter where you put them.