Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveballs"

BHD,
You are the one talking 90 plus, not me.
We both know that isn't needed. I don't know why you bring that in when it isn't part of the discussion about cb's vs learning to pitch and getting guys out.
Even though I disagree, I am leaving out the injury risk issue.
My post was about learning and knowing how to pitch. How to command pitches.
The toughest pitcher my son ever saw, including Randy Johnson, was Eric Hurley. It wasn't his 91-92mph or his cb. It was his 78-80mph change that came out of his hand and delivery looking exactly like his FB.
Jamie Moyer has said it is his ability to change speeds by greater than 10mph and command pitches that makes him successful. If his change isn't more than 10mph slower than his FB, he gets hit. When it is, he doesn't.
Plenty of guys succeed in college and beyond who are 87-89. They do it with a 4 seam, a 2 seam, both of which they can command in any count, a change up and a curveball, all of which they can command in any count.
I used Zito as an example. He is a two pitch guy now trying to develop a change up.
At 83, he cannot get guys out.
At 87-89, as I said before, his curveball becomes weapon when he can command it and hitters cannot look for it.
As I said before, any 10-12 year old gets hitters out with a CB. So what????? If you throw 90% cb's as a 12 year old, you get more hitters out.
You throw 90% cb's to college and Milb hitters, and you don't get many outs. Hitters like it though!! Big Grin
Wouldn't we both agree that the measure of a successful pitcher/hitter/player is on a regulation field against top competition like you see from ages 16 and up???
What is important in baseball about throwing cb's as a 12 year old. What does it prove???
Last edited by infielddad