Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveballs"

As I read section in the article on not thowing cb's before age 14, it indicates that because of the size of a child's hand, it is nearly impossible to throw the cb correctly.
Because the hand of most kids 14 and under are small, torque is required on the wrist/elbow placing increased stress on the growth plate. To me, that is a risk.
While I appreciate those who say their son throws it properly, I wonder.
Having had a son who didn't throw cb's and still had a growth plate issue, I tend to err on the side of caution and eliminate whatever risk I can recommend to other parents.To my reading, this article identifies cb's as a risk of growth plate injury. It explains why and it explains why it isn't very controllable by coaches, good coaching and the like...it is related to hand size.
In terms of "them" being two separate issues, I am not understanding when there is then the reference to your son and the success he is having in high school.
I'm sorry but I am reading your comments to say that your son learning to throw the cb when he was young helped his development as a pitcher and his success at this level.
If I am reading this wrong, I apologize.
If this isn't about development, then it would seem to me it is all about throwing cb's in little league for the purpose of winning in little league. If that is all this thread is about, then parents can read articles of the type I have posted saying they are a risk and why and determine how important it is to get hitters out when kids are 12.
The point I think is important is that throwing cb's is not without medical risks that have been identified and are easily understood.
BTW, good luck to your son. He sounds very talented.
Last edited by infielddad