Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveballs"

quote:
Originally posted by Yardbird:
Tfox,

quote:
“What about a parent getting lessons for a kid on the small field to learn mechanics that promote arm health if the parents have no experience in that area?”

Physiologically human being learn motor skills better when they have no or less pre-trained Proprioceptive awareness (Neural firing order or muscle memory) to hinder changing mechanics. This means the earlier you get to them the better. The most beneficial lessons I give are to 4,5,6 and 7 year olds because it sets them early correctly rather than trying to retrain a mechanic later plus if the father or mother are there they learn the training regimen so that they can then take over most of the training pretty quickly them selves.

quote:
“(especially if the kid throws hard)”

Why would this matter if the kid sees himself as a pitcher, wants to pursue his dreams and wants to have some fun! Let all of them pitch if they want to so it spreads the load until High school. Then it’s the top 6 guys at the lower levels then the top 4 guys at the upper levels.

Wouldn't it be true that if a kid throws hard but does it incorrectly,the higher the likleyhood of permanent damage?

That was the point of the reference.

I actually have a 10 year old that throws well and hard but I doubt he will pursue pitching.He probably will just because of his naturall ability and coaches will ask him to do it but at this point,I am not sure if he cares about pitching later on.I know he cares about playing centerfield though. Wink