Skip to main content

Reply to "Curveballs"

quote:
Originally posted by OCB:
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Daque,
So do you say to those that insist they taught their young pitchers to throw, "curveballs the right way", it's really impossible to do that (pardon me I am not a coach, just a parent)? Or those LL CB ARE harmful?

We seem to be in agreement. I admit, parents are the worst culprits, parents MUST educate themselves before their sons BEGIN pitching, not years later. At 8,9,10,11 my son played with coaches who limited much of their time on the mound, parents complained, coach said go play somewhere else.
But I do admit they throw hard here, but most of them will never see a HS game, or college game.Especially when you are taking readings for 9 and 10 year olds, that was never a thought in our minds, you could tell who was throwing hard and who wasn't. But often parents just like to say, "hey man, my kid was pumping 70 this weekend'. Or, "hey my kid mowed them down with his curveball".
Definetly overuse and multiple leagues and year round baseball hurts kids, but if husband had it to do ovr, he's do it the same way, only waiting a bit longr to take the mound.

Don't be too hard on OCB.

OCB,
How many games do you guys play down here.
Also how can you be so opposed to CB, but thank those that throw them, seems weird.

Daque, I am not saying or suggesting that overuse wont hurt your arm. It will and does. However curve balls in my opinion at a young age only increase the risk of arm injury.

TPM: Im in Florida just like you. You know that we play all year round. My son as of this weekend has played 158 games in 11 months. As for me being opposed to CBs but thanking those who allow their kids to throw them.

That is just my way of saying. I know these parents are never going to listen and in my opinion are only putting their childs health at risk and by them doing so only helps my son see pitches that he honestly shouldnt be seeing at this age but in turn will make him better prepared later in his baseball career.

I would honestly not like to see kids this age throw CBs but I know that isnt going to happen.

Its funny I see this posts today...Just left Doctore for my 17 year old lefty high school pitcher.Has nsaty change-up, good slider and a fastball. Adding the good ole curve ball over the last 12 months is the source of his tender elbow.He complained when only uses his curve. According to the Dr. main reason is improper mechanics and poor warmups. Needless to say, he will be in physical therapy for the next 3 weeks.I guess my point is no matter what age if your not doing it properly it can wear your elbow.....