Skip to main content

Reply to "cutting lettermen"

Will, I would want to play for you. I too don't know what I'm doing and so, I give out letters to everyone that survives the season on the varsity. I figure we have 4-5 hour practices. I know, some of you that know so much more than I are already thinking, heck, if he knew anything at all, he can practice and be done in 2 hours. If that kid can catch a bullpen for an hour then rotate on the field and then go hit and then practice at his normal position do his lifting or the plyometrics after practice and then work on the field, he is lettering. The star in our program is the TEAM. A concept that I have never understood is this elite attitude of lettering only "those that get to play." We had 11 pitchers throw last night for our varsity and soph teams. Each threw our "long workout." Are some posters serious when they say that the contributions of these infielders doing catching duty are less important that game contributions? How do the "stars" get good? Maybe we are different. We have the non-stars hit the fungoes at times or any other dirty work. I think they are extremely important. IT DOESN'T DIMINSH THE GRANDURE OF THAT LETTER BECAUSE JOE OVER THERE WHO DIDN'T PLAY AN INNING LETTERED. IT DOES ENFORCE TEAM OVER STAR IN EVERYONE'S EYES. Then again, maybe we should roll out the red carpet for those blue chippers and then take up a collection from all of the scrubs to pay for them to have the privilege of being able to stand next to these stars.

On the subject now, I just had to cut a letterwinner. I called him over and talked to him. He has gained about 25 lbs and it is not good weight gain. He is now slower and his bat is slower. He has been passed up by 2 younger players. I was honest with him and gave him the option of being on the team but he would not start this year unless he really improved a lot. He opted to be cut. I do think you owe a letterman to talk to them and not just post their name on some list. Other than that, I make sure that everyone knows that a letter is for that year's achievement. It doesn't guarantee anyone anything the next year. JMHO!

"There comes a time when you have to stop dreaming of the man you want to be and start being the man you have become." Bruce Springsteen