Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 baseball athletes schedule"

@Prepster posted:

When my son was a college sophomore, he and I had lunch one day just off campus during Fall Baseball. Out of the blue, he asked, "Dad, how do 'normal' students use all the extra time they have? (He probably figured I might know something about this because I'd been a 'normal' student there almost 30 years before.  ) We have no free time because of baseball; but, without that, there'd be a huge amount of potentially wasted time to kill."

I think I mentioned something about many students having jobs to fill some of the time gap in my reply; but, I also had to admit that student-athletes had very little free time compared with their non student-athlete compatriots. I stopped just short of recalling fraternity parties and road trips.

Normal students do have more schedule flexibility. Some have jobs. Some do volunteer work. Some study rigorously. Some train on their own. I chose to take more classes and graduate early. Spouse was an athlete. It took him 4.5 years to graduate because he reduced his credit hours some semesters to keep his coursework manageable.