Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Baseball + STEM Degree"

Swampboy posted:

I would be reluctant to endorse the generation that it can’t be done  at the majority of D1’s. It really depends on the player and the school.  

Several of my son’s teammates did it. One majored in some kind of life science and went to dental school. My son had extra time on campus because of injury and transfer redshirt years, which enabled him to earn a masters in cyber security and quickly land a cyber security engineer job with a defense contractor.

Agreed.  I would not be too quick to rule out a STEM major at MOST D1's.  Yeah, there may be a few school schools where it simply can't be done, by anyone.  But, I am convinced that it is possible at MOST D1's.   Is it possible for every kid?  Of course not, no more than it is possible for every kid to PLAY at a high level D1.   But, I am convinced that a lot more kids could do it than currently do.  

TRUST IN HIM, you nailed it.  For the vast majority of schools in the Power 5 conferences, it's all about the wins.  They'll all try to make sure he gets some kind of degree, but they don't distinguish between Basket Weaving and Engineering.