Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Baseball + STEM Degree"

fenwaysouth posted:
Pedaldad posted:

But, all their baseball teams sucked.  My son said that just wasn’t what he was looking for.   So baseball first with pre-req classes followed by the real academics when baseball is done.

I agree with your statements about college baseball and STEM degrees in general.   I understand 100% where you are coming from.   

I will disagree that if you want to pursue both STEM and college baseball that you have to settle for teams that "suck".  But, I guess "sucked" is in the eye of the beholder...in this case, your son.  There are D1 programs that can provide both a high level STEM education and a mid-level D1 baseball experience for those that are passionate about both....I believe that was the OPs question.   I've seen it with my own eyes many times on the baseball field.   These teams may not be as deep as higher level D1 teams but there is D1 talent throughout their lineups.  

I agree completely that there are schools that can provide it at every level.   What I am saying is that anyone puts themselves at a disadvantage if you are trying to compete at a HA school while playing a truly competitive sport.

You will get slaughtered in the classroom by your classmates that are every bit as bright as you, but don’t have the demands of a sport.