Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Baseball + STEM Degree"

Pedaldad posted: 

I agree completely that there are schools that can provide it at every level.   What I am saying is that anyone puts themselves at a disadvantage if you are trying to compete at a HA school while playing a truly competitive sport.

You will get slaughtered in the classroom by your classmates that are every bit as bright as you, but don’t have the demands of a sport.

Again, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree mostly on the term "anyone" because I know quite a few folks that have made this work and gone on to be Vets, Lawyers, Pediatricians, Orthopedic Surgeons, Chemical Engineers, Nuclear Engineers, Material Science Engineers and Mechanical Engineers.   By far getting into Vet school was the most difficult .   These people thrived in this environment.  They found an extra academic gear in college when they were challenged by both.  In addition the baseball programs they played for were flexible.   It can be done.   I've seen it.   Do I think this is for everybody? Absolutely not, which is why my son saw 35% of incoming declared freshmen engineers change their major by  sophomore year.   Know thy self.