Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Camp Readiness"

I agree with this - but at the least, in a situation like this, I would hope that the travel coach has contacted the coach at the school about your son, to gauge interest.  When he says to wait, he is likely telling you that he's not willing to recommend your son to that school now.  He may have previous experience with how these schools recruit.  Or conversely, he may not know much at all.  I would suggest that you have a detailed conversation with him about your son's recruiting, because, at the end of the day, he's a person who will tell college coaches whether your son can play at that level - even if he's wrong, I'd think you need to know where he stands.  And, if you don't trust him, then you need to find someone you do trust.

I say this because my son was similar with the 60-time, and the travel coach kept saying "get it lower" without really explaining why - he also kept saying "could be mid-major D1" which is the slipperiest statement in high school baseball.  We were too shy to ask.  He's at a D3.

When you say your son is an elite hitter, do you mean hitting is his best tool?  Hits for power (exit velo)?  or average?  Has a high batting average, gets on base a lot?

Hitting is definitely his best tool. His exit velo is upper 90s. His average is typically around .400 (+/- .020 depending on pitching). OBP ranges from .450-.500.

We have had detailed conversations about his recruiting with his travel coach. Coach has called schools where he has contacts, but I'm not sure how much clout he has with them because he's relatively new to the coaching side. He does have many contacts from when he played college and in the MiLB.