Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Camp Readiness"

@PitchingFan posted:

I agree.  Son only went to two camps.  One was a requirement by PBR to play in future's game and personal invite by the University coaching staff.  The coaching staff got son mixed up with someone else and didn't even talk to him all day then when the volunteer came to talk to us I told him that the information he was giving me was for the wrong kid.  Son struck out 5 of the 6 kids he faced on 16 pitches and the other popped up on 1 pitch.  Son hit a couple of HR's from each side in BP.   The volunteer stopped us before we got to the parking lot and told son he needed to work on his control pitching.  When I asked about hitting he said your son did not hit.  He was a PO.  We told him what son did pitching and hitting, BTW no one else hit one out.  Volunteer asked us to wait while he went to get the HC or AC.  I said no thank you.  We got what we came for which was to be eligible for PBR.  They tried to talk to us at PBR but son apologized and said he was busy.  Bad part was the past staff was ready to offer full ride the week before they were released.

The other school son went to camp because they pushed for it.  He took 6'4" LHP who threw 90 and hit well and was the second fastest HS kid in Missouri with him.  They never talked to son's friend.  They made son very good offer which we held onto until he accepted UT's offer.  I told them then that they missed on a great kid who would have helped their program but it helped me know that coaches don't look at camps other than the kids they invite.  Even LHP's throwing 90.

Yes, I think that you gave some very good examples of what these Prospect camps are like, at least that is the opinion I have gathered this past year from camps.  My son attended three prospect camps at Mid Major programs.  He put up impressive numbers at all three, but it really didn't matter because the staffs there already had their mind made up about which kids they really wanted to see.  The rest really just didn't matter.   We went to one SEC school prospect camp and the coaching staffs all watched the pitching performance of the first three pitchers that they put on the mound.   Once those three guys were finished, they spent the majority of the day talking to those three guys and then just visiting with one another.   They hardly even took the time to glance at the other kids that pitched and hit the rest of the day.

So, to go back to the OP's question about attending the camp, I would say that it really doesn't matter if your son runs a sub 7.0 or not.   If you aren't already getting phone calls from the assistant coaches from that school, there is probably nothing that your son can do at the camp to really put him on their radar.   

Another thing to consider, my son received an offer from a D1 school a couple of weeks ago, so he sent a text message to his travel ball director asking his opinion about the school etc...    The director called him back and they spoke for a while about some other schools that are possibly going to offer him in the near future that he has had conversations with.   He told my son something that really struck me.   He said, "right now the D1 schools are not likely to give any offers right now because they are going to wait and see what the transfer portal is going to look like after the spring."  He said that he expects every thing to come to a halt as far as 2023, 2024 recruiting until the end of spring and summer after all of the transfer portal names are entered.    This is especially true of for the Mid Majors as they wait to see how many Power 5 players that didn't get PT this spring decide to jump in the portal to move down to a mid major or low D1 team to get playing time.   

So, don't go into this January camp with big expectations.   

Last edited by Ster