Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Camp Readiness"

My son just attended his first camp, a mid major D1. This was in a cold weather state, and the entire full-day camp was outside. Temps were in the 20s when they started, never got higher than mid 30s. Nobody was told that it would be outside, but son brought a coldgear shirt & leggings just in case. There were a bunch of guys who didn't and were out there in just a t-shirt for 6 hours. The coaches all had winter coats on.

They ran the 60 first thing & the turf was coated with ice crystals. Just about everybody slipped at the start, and times were predictably worse than expected. It was impossible to stay loose, my son tweaked his arm during throwing drills because he couldn't stay warm while waiting around. BP was fine, guys dealt with the cold pretty well. They didn't do live ABs until the last hour & everyone's teeth were chattering. Only a few balls left the infield from the entire group. I'm not sure the coaching staff can get much evaluation in those conditions, and I'm surprised there weren't more injuries.