Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Camp Readiness"

@cabbagedad posted:

Hey Speed,

I understand your POV on the topic.  There have been times when I felt it would be appropriate to name names here as to warn others when necessary.  There are pro's and con's.  I think, ultimately, the site has it right by taking the high road on this.  The admins have done an great job of maintaining the generally civil, insightful, helpful nature of the site and this is part of those efforts.  To PF's point, a lot of us are guilty of stretching the bounds at times but still...

You say your comment was not asking to "name and shame" but in effect, it would.   You started an interesting thread back in March about parents saying abusive things to your kid.  Unfortunately, there are more of those parents in this world than should be and they tend to be the ones that would abuse an open policy here and turn this site into a b*tch session and make it very uncivil (call that a negative worldview on my part if you wish).   

Regarding your point about everything being video'd these days... you're right but that doesn't mean there aren't still proper etiquette guidelines - times and places where it is not appropriate to share or make public.  I'm not saying that particular event should be exempt, just saying this is probably not the forum for it, depending on how it is presented.   

As others have mentioned, PM can be used if someone has concerns that the school/coach/program/etc in question is one they might be dealing with.

Side note - I see you are from the Central Coast.  I don't remember whether I ever asked you but we lived there for many years until recently.  I'd be curious as to where.  You can PM me if preferred

Great response. Thanks.

We can agree to disagree. I don't have any problems with stating facts. Naming names due to opinions or behavior or because we feel wronged is not OK.

Separately but interestingly, last night while I was writing my response a relative stopped by. We got to talking and I explained this discussion to him. His immediate response: "that is abusive and dangerous".

Now, his opinion is relevant because he's an ER physician, at a Level 1 ER, at a large university. I was taken aback at how outraged he became because he's a super mild-mannered guy.

I hadn't really thought about the medical aspects of exposing young people to sub-freezing weather for 6-7 hours. But he did and he was angry.