Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Camp Readiness"

@SpeedDemon posted:

Great response. Thanks.

We can agree to disagree. I don't have any problems with stating facts. Naming names due to opinions or behavior or because we feel wronged is not OK.

Separately but interestingly, last night while I was writing my response a relative stopped by. We got to talking and I explained this discussion to him. His immediate response: "that is abusive and dangerous".

Now, his opinion is relevant because he's an ER physician, at a Level 1 ER, at a large university. I was taken aback at how outraged he became because he's a super mild-mannered guy.

I hadn't really thought about the medical aspects of exposing young people to sub-freezing weather for 6-7 hours. But he did and he was angry.

OK but...   Baseball is an outside sport.  If you are going to a baseball camp and the weather forecast is 20's and 30's, it is absolutely your common sense responsibility (as you/your son did) to first check if cancelled, then come prepared with proper attire and maybe confirm that the event is to be moved indoors.  Even if indoors, if the weather is that bad outside it's very likely to still be quite cold in an athletic indoor facility.  Who the heck comes with just a tee shirt??   I know, that may be giving teens too much credit   

Seriously, though, you can read plenty of stories on this site of college games being played in snow and/or freezing temps.  Your ER doc can call that abusive all he wants but if you play in the NE, MINK states, Midwest or even Mid Atlantic (TONS of college programs in these areas), it's gonna happen.  College season is roughly Feb thru May.  Heck, one of my son's coaching gigs was in Tennessee and they had multiple snow games there.  Also, those players are outside at the ballpark for 4-5 hours, much longer for doubleheaders (quite common).  It is up to them to show up prepared to stay warm enough and loose enough to play when their time is called.

BTW, still curious where on the Central Coast you are if you don't mind sharing.

Last edited by cabbagedad