Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Camp Readiness"

@SpeedDemon posted:

Freezing, incapacitated, injured teenagers - it's their fault.

But don't name the school because it might make someone might look bad.

This HSBBW discussion has been enlightening but at the same time, quiet sad.

Camps should never be conducted outdoors in bad weather conditions IMO. There should always be an indoor option as a back up plan. The one and only PG showcase that any of my kids ever attended was the South National Showcase in Houston, TX in 2016. It was cold and raining sideways. And the showcase went on outside as planned. Kids ran 60 times into a headwind and driving rain. OF throws went into the same gale force wind. BP was hit into the same storm - which lasted all day. Field conditions were not safe and no player could perform. I sat with the “scouts” and listened as the made up comments and reports on the fly w/o having a grasp of what they were watching. They were just kids that had been rented to fill out forms. Every player and parent was furious. It was ridiculous and in that moment I knew what PG was all about. Cold, but dry, is a different situation however. Most of those will go as scheduled because, as many have pointed out, many teams play in cold weather in February and March. So it’s not crazy for cold weather schools to schedule a winter camp and have it outdoors if possible. They will be playing in those same conditions in 60-90 days. As far as naming schools goes, a PM is always the best way. Especially if you are active in the recruiting process. Coaches comb social media and comments by parents can have an impact on a kid’s recruiting. But usually only in one way - negatively. A parent’s comments can hurt a lot but rarely help even a little. I think that’s the best argument for not publicly naming schools. Although I see nothing wrong with it in this case. We are only talking about a camp. And that is a lesser subject than recruiting policies in general. So to say that naming schools that over recruit is okay (and oh btw furnish proof or your claim is unsubstantiated), and on the other hand say that a school that puts on a bad camp should not be named is …. certainly not consistent. So it’s pretty understandable that you feel enlightened.