Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Camp Readiness"

Totally bugs the mess out of me too @CTbballDad. Winter showcases, tournaments and camps that are not part of the kid's progression back to season...and the pressure people feel to do all of these things. Some of them for really young kids!! In Dec through HS my son was playing basketball. Now, he is putting in the behind the scenes work. Lifting, conditioning...started swinging a little while ago but he goes early when no one else is there; he's working on what he needs to work on and not for others to see (or measure) what he is doing.

As for sharing names, I agree that its not a huge value add. The warning is enough without all the details--we all know what red flag to look out for now.  It has been our experience that no matter how much information you share, names, specific experiences, examples other than just yours...folks sometimes still have to figure it out on their own. Sometimes it's because their circumstances are truly different (for example money was an issue for most our kids' youth careers so we had to make trade offs other parents might not need to make). Sometimes it's because the hype is too enticing. Sometimes it is because the landscape really has changed. And sometimes....well... some folks think that their kid is different and that what happened to your kid could never happen to theirs. And that's their prerogative.