Skip to main content

Reply to "D1 Coach Pulling Our Son's NLI"

My point is PlayerMom should read the agreement.    I'm concerned and helping by providing information.  And a viewpoint from my 10 years of direct experience with  NCAA institutions.  The way I read it;  Before PlayerMom can do anything concerning any school and still completely fulfill the agreement her son signed;  Her son has to get a release, (which seems school will agree to).  Even going to a JC if you read the letter of the agreement a release is required to go back to any NLI school for the next 4 years, or graduating the JC.  

Once the release is signed the school is off the hook, but that doesn't mean the athlete will necessarily get another scholarship with another school.    Just another case where the athlete isn't the entity being protected.

From the NLI website link I provided earlier.

Recruiting Ban After Signing

I understand all participating conferences and institutions are obligated to respect my signing and shall cease to recruit me after my signing this NLI.  I shall notify any recruiter who contacts me that I have signed an NLI.  Once I enroll in the institution named in this document, the NLI Recruiting Ban is no longer in effect and I shall be governed by applicable NCAA bylaws.

Basic Penalty

I understand that if I do not attend the institution named in this document for one full academic year and I enroll in another institution participating in the NLI program, I may not compete in intercollegiate athletics until I have completed one full academic year in residence at the latter institution.  Further, I understand I shall be charged with the loss of one season of intercollegiate athletics competition in all sports.  This is in addition to any seasons of competition used at any institution.

Statute of Limitations

I am subject to the NLI penalty if I do not fulfill the agreement; however, if I do not attend an NLI member institution to fulfill the agreement or penalty and four years has elapsed since my signing date, the NLI is no longer binding.  Therefore, this NLI is in full force and effect for a period of four years, commencing with the date I sign this NLI.

Provisions of Letter Satisfied

a.   One-Year Attendance Requirement.  The terms of this NLI shall be satisfied if I attend the institution named in this document for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters) as a full-time student.

b.   Two-Year College Graduation.  After signing this NLI while in high school and if I later attend a two-year college, the terms of this NLI will be satisfied if I graduate from the two-year college.

Release Request and Appeal Process

In the event I wish to be released from my NLI obligation, the NLI release request and appeal process information can be reviewed on the NLI Web site at www.national-letter.org.  I understand that the NLI Policy and Review Committee has been authorized to issue interpretations, settle disputes and consider petitions for complete release from the provisions of the NLI when extenuating circumstances are determined to exist and the signing institution denies my request for release. I further understand the Committee’s decision may be appealed to the NLI Appeals Committee, whose decision shall be final and binding. 

Last edited by SDBB